Wednesday 11 August 2010

Why Is BSNL Doing This?

Prof. B.S.N. Prasad, member of Mysore Grahakara Parishat, writes

I have a prepaid BSNL mobile. Some time ago, I received a message on my mobile which read "Dear customer, you have been charged Rs. 28 for our BSNL tunes. Enjoy the service for the next 30 days". I received a similar message a couple of minutes later, charging me Rs. 12 this time. In a space of two minutes, Rs. 40 was deducted from my prepaid account.

My wife who was using this mobile earlier tells me that similar deductions happened in the past also. Unfortunately, she has deleted all the messages and so I do not know exactly how many times BSNL has charged me for its tunes.

But I have never asked for these tunes and so it appears that BSNL is charging me whenever it feels like it, without my permission.

After running around a lot, I found that I could deactivate this "service" of BSNL by calling 56702. Even deactivation took some effort since 56702 is an interactive faceless service that persisted on selling the tunes under various schemes.

My wife and I have neither the time nor the resources to enjoy the BSNL tunes. BSNL has put me, a senior citizen, to unnecessary trouble and expense. Why is it doing this?